You are subject to all area laws and penalties, like all those that may well look harsh by Australian standards. Analysis nearby guidelines right before travelling.
If you happen to be arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you inside of the scope of our Consular Providers Charter. But we can’t get you out of difficulties or out of jail.
See the Australian Embassy Tokyo website for extra info about arrests in Japan.
Be aware that you will not likely be allowed to make a telephone contact if you are arrested in Japan. You can also be detained for up to 23 times without having any formal charge.
Authorities can arrest and demand you if they uncover trace amounts of unlawful medicine in your blood or urine.
Much more info:
Japanese relatives legislation, which includes divorce and little one custody, is pretty unique to Australian legislation. For instance, joint custody of a youngster after divorce is not a legal alternative, and there are restrictions to entry for a non-custodial dad or mum. The Loved ones Courts in Japan generally contemplate that it is in a child’s finest passions for them to continue being in their “usual position of residence”. Courts for that reason generally give sole custody to the mum or dad that has taken treatment of the little one most lately.
If you might be associated in custody or other household disputes, check with a law firm in advance of you go away Australia or if you are by now in Japan. We have manufactured some common information and facts about difficulties close to custody, child abduction and parental legal rights.
Australia and Japan are equally events to The Hague Conference on the Civil Facets of Worldwide Boy or girl Abduction.
If you’re concerned that your kid has been wrongfully removed or detained in Japan, make contact with the Legal professional-General’s Section in Australia.
More information and facts:
Some work brokers may well mislead and persuade foreigners to operate in Japan with no:
- the appropriate visa
- monetary preparations in location
This could leave you open up to exploitation and prosecution.
Authorities have arrested Australians for operating in the enjoyment sector though in Japan on vacationer visas.
If you want to journey to Japan for operate:
- verify the real mother nature of the do the job available
- get the accurate visa in advance of arriving in Japan
- get authorized guidance right before signing any contract
Law enforcement powers
Law enforcement can halt you on the avenue, demand identification and look for you and your possessions.
If you’re in a general public area, law enforcement can seize:
- knives longer than 5.5cm, which includes blades and penknives
- any other weapons or factors you could use as weapons
- any merchandise they reasonably suspect you stole or have unlawfully
If they uncover any of these objects on you, it is probable that police will detain you.
If you are arrested, police can detain you for up to 23 times with no demand, like for offences you may well think are small. Police may possibly keep you for months or months whilst they investigate and undertake legal proceedings.
The first police interview could previous a number of hrs. Police may well history it in composing instead than electronically.
Under Japanese legislation, you can:
- stay silent
- accessibility lawful representation
- have an interpreter provided
Even so, in Japan law enforcement can problem you without the need of your attorney current.
English interpreters may well be substandard. Get a list of English-speaking attorneys around Japan from the Australian Embassy internet site.
If you might be visiting Japan shorter-phrase as a vacationer or for business enterprise, you must often have your passport.
If you dwell in Japan, you must usually carry your residence card.
It is really illegal to:
- purchase or consume alcohol if you happen to be less than 20 many years old
- generate with any liquor in your bloodstream
- make it possible for an individual under the influence of alcohol to travel a car in which you happen to be a passenger
The pursuing things to do are also illegal:
- importing or possessing firearms or other weapons without having a allow.
- cigarette smoking on the streets in some pieces of Tokyo and other metropolitan areas.
- making use of UHF-CB radios (walkie-talkies) that do not fulfill Japanese criteria, this kind of as these bought outdoors Japan.
- resisting arrest or other steps that impede an official’s obligations.
- traveling a drone without the need of a permit in lots of areas of Japan. Demanding restrictions use less than aviation regulations.
- getting unlawful prescription drugs in your overall body (detected by urine tests).
- consuming on the streets on certain days, such as all around Shibuya on Halloween and New Year’s Eve.
Penalties for severe crimes, this sort of as murder, include the demise penalty.
Other sentences can involve:
- heavy fines
- prolonged jail conditions with challenging labour